Thursday 6 February 2014

Because I Found It Interesting

One of my favourite authors, Heidi Cullinan posted the link to the following article on her FB page and I found it very interesting and thought to share it.

  Becoming Human - The Evolution Of Female Characters In Media By Amber Topping. 

 In her FB post, Heidi said: "I always feel like I'm circling around this issue, even when I'm not writing about women directly. What I like is that they address that part of the problem is there's no clear right way. Any time you put a woman in a story (or leave her out) someone will come in and tell you what that means. Usually five someones, usually angry, usually contradicting each other. It's why I wish lesbian/bisexual romances were as embraced as gay romances in mainstream reading, so we could dive into the feminine more deeply. But this insane tension and instinct to snipe and judge even the simplest comment is probably exactly why that's not happening. That Venus de Milo illustration is so apt. Put a woman in there and everybody's rushing to cover/define her THEIR way. Meanwhile, she gets three seconds to be herself before culture takes over. 

And yes, for the record, a lesbian/bisexual romance is on my bucket list, coming up soon in fact."

I am really looking forward to this. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment