Monday 2 May 2016

Musing on A Song of Ice and Fire vs Game of Thrones

I stopped watching Game of Thrones back in the beginning of Season 2.  I don't rightly know why, I just did.  I am up to date on A Song of Ice and Fire, having read through A Dance of Dragons, however.  Last night was the premiere of Season 6 of GoT on HBO and it was all over my Twitter timeline and Facebook, so much so that I actually dreamt about it, the TV return, that is - Jon Snow hadn't died, he'd gone off to be a pirate and returned to Westeros at the head of a pirate fleet.

So as I lay in bed this morning, I ended up wondering if George R.R. Martin ever regrets selling the series to HBO when he did.  Now that the show has apparently caught up with the books, and it's been officially announced and reiterated that what is seen in the show will not be following the books in many cases - many more cases than it already has - it sets me to wondering.

I know that GRRM has shared his vision of the story with the producers of the show, but God knows if they're all going to end up in the same place now.  I wonder how that feels, to have one's arguably best piece of work taken from your hands and reformed before you even get the chance to do it your way.  The first time.  The original.   I think he must at some point, no?  Have regrets?  In the wee small hours?  Do all the $$ and recognition he's received thanks to the TV show make up for it?  Again, when he's all alone in the wee small hours, I wonder....

I also wonder if A Song of Ice and Fire, his story,  will be tainted by Game of Thrones and what the TV producers come up with as their story.  Does the original vision of Westeros become something shared between GRRM, David Benioff and DB Weiss instead of GRRM's alone?

That was all some heavy thinking before my first cup of coffee!

(x-posted to Dreamwidth)


No comments:

Post a Comment