Thursday 21 November 2013

You know what? Olivia Pope pisses me off.

And Shonda Rhimes disappoints me.

I enjoy the TV show, Scandal.  Shonda Rhimes has created a world full of intriguing and amazing characters in the most extreme situations and I love watching it.  That is, until I have to put up with the 'romance' of Olivia Pope and the Worst President Ever, Fitzgerald Grant.  It puts the whole intriguing and STRONG character of Olivia in question.  And she's the Main Character.  See... she's a smart, strong, intelligent, daring woman, but every time she gets around that jerk, she gets all dewy-eyed and weak in the knees.  Her hormones and her Great Passionate Love for this weak, weak man drive her to behave like some teenage Gidget and that makes me SO angry.

Where's the outrage from the feminists and the Women of Colour?  Shonda Rhimes has given us a TERRIFIC character in Olivia Pope and I suppose... I guess this thing with Fitz, how she always takes him back, how she always gives in to him in the end, how she always turns her power over to him, how she loves him best of everyone... is supposed to show us that she's not a robot?  That she's has feelings?  That she's not a tough bitch?  Well, SORRY.... it just shows me that she gives up all her power to a man.  Shows me that even this woman of strong character, great intelligence, fiiery passion for right and wrong... it shows me that it all pales when her hormones get tickled.  That's not romance... that's not a grand passion... that's not a man respecting a woman for her strengths and putting her first.  That's a man waving his dick and a woman spreading her legs.  "Show me!" indeed.  *snort*

IT PISSES ME OFF and Shonda Rhimes should know better.

No comments:

Post a Comment