Tuesday 19 November 2013

You know what? Thanks Maks!

So I had an epiphany last night while watching Dancing With The Stars.  It was during the second round of dances, when the judges were critiquing Amber and Derek's Viennese Waltz.  Maks told Amber that she was in the best hands possible because no one knew better than Derek how to put together routines etc.. to make her shine.  He was the best in the business at packaging his celeb etc.. etc...

Now, it's no secret that I'm not a Derek fan.  He's struck a wrong chord with me since his second season, I guess.  I don't buy his self-deprecating persona.  I don't buy the "aw shucks" routine at all.  I think he's very calculating, very out for Derek and furthering Derek is always in the forefront of his mind.   He seems a very personable fellow, polite and well-mannered but...

Derek is talented.  He's a gifted choreographer and a gifted dancer.  I see his talent all the time. I'm not fond of his style, but I'm not so bull-headed as to ignore his obvious gifts.  And some people like his blond, Leonardo DiCaprio looks.  Not my taste.   But I love dance - I should love Derek's routines, right?  Well... I've realised a big part of why I don't.  And that's thanks to my honest Maks who calls 'em as he sees and feels 'em.

See.. when Maks gave Derek the compliment - and believe me, in Maks' eyes, it's a HUGE compliment - I realised what it was that turned me off routines of Derek's most of the time.  It was a calculated package devoid of what I term, warmth and soul.  It was designed to WIN, not to necessarily play to the celeb's personality.  The building blocks of the routines don't start with who the celeb is and the joy of the dance, but what will advance the celeb further.  THAT'S why I most often find Derek's performances lacking, why they leave me cold.  Because I 'm not fond of Karina either, but I don't get the same business-like, sterile feeling that I get when I watch Derek and his partner.

Many others will say I'm wrong, and biased, and blind etc... etc... etc...   But this is indeed how these routines leave me feeling more often than not.

I don't know how much of this makes sense to anyone, but... it makes sense to me.  (And obviously 140 characters wasn't going to cover it.  *LOL*)

No comments:

Post a Comment